rss logo Top Miami Area Local News Stories

Source: Top Stories

Driver identified in fatal Deerfield Beach crash

<p> Investigators have identified the driver of a vehicle involved in a Deerfield Beach crash that killed a 6-year-old girl and hurt three other children, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office.</p><p> It happened before 4 p.m. in the 200 block of West Hillsboro Boulevard, in front of the Bazaar supermarket.</p><p> Deputies said Shirley Coto, 38, of Deerfield Beach, was the driver of a Nissan Altima in which four children, ages 4 to 11, were passengers.</p><p> Investigators said Coto was heading south into the supermarket's parking lot when the Altima collided with an eastbound Ford Ranger pickup driven by Marcelo Verly, 22, of Deerfield Beach.</p><p> Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue took Coto and the children to Broward Health Medical Center, where the 6-year-old girl died a short time later, deputies said.</p><p> One other child remains in extremely critical condition and two others are in serious condition, but have stabilized, according to BSO. Coto was treated and released.</p><p> Verly and a passenger inside his truck were not seriously hurt and remained at the scene, deputies said.</p><p> It appeared that at least some of the children were not properly restrained, deputies said.</p><p> Coto does not have a Florida driver license, according to BSO.</p><p> No one has been cited in the crash, which remains under investigation, deputies said.</p><p> Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call Traffic Homicide Detective Anthony Morales at 954-321-4840 or report information anonymously to Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477).</p><p> Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10</p>

Published: Sat, 30 May 2015 01:47:32 GMT

Recent high school graduate among 2 killed in I-75 crash

<p> A teenager who graduated from high school last week has been identified as one of two victims killed in a crash along Interstate 75. </p><p> Liza Angulo, 17, died Thursday night after her white BMW was involved in a four-vehicle collision in the southbound lanes near the exit to Pines Boulevard. </p><p> Angulo's BMW following crash</p><p> Angulo graduated with honors last Friday from American Heritage School. The school's high school principal released a statement early Friday morning:</p><p> Liza Angulo</p><p> "American Heritage School is profoundly saddened by the loss of Liza Angulo.  Liza was an intelligent and caring young lady with a bright future ahead of her. My heart goes out to her family as they process this unbearable tragedy.  My thoughts are also with the Class of 2015 as they learn of this shocking loss of their classmate and friend.</p><p> Liza will be missed by the faculty, the class of 2015, and the entire American Heritage Community."</p><p> According to Angulo's Facebook page, she was planning to attend the University of Miami in the fall. </p><p> "I woke up and received an email from a teacher who had a daughter that was friends with her," Blum told Local 10 News. "I was shocked and saddened and went in front of the TV. I couldn't even fathom that one of our former students was in the car."</p><p> Blum added that Angulo was kind, caring and friendly to everyone. While a student at American Heritage, she was involved with the school's yearbook and mentored other students. </p><p> Angulo's death is the second tragedy at American Heritage School this year. In November, a 16-year-old student was killed while riding his bicycle in Coral Springs. </p><p> A 29-year-old man, identified as Jonathan Astaphan was also killed in Thursday night's crash. A woman in the car he was riding in, identified as Patricia Rolle was hospitalized. Role is listed in serious condition at a hospital.</p><p> Investigators say the chain reaction crash began when one car collided with a tractor-trailer that was pulling out of a construction site around 11:30 p.m. Thursday. All southbound lanes were shut down until 7:45 Friday morning. </p><p> Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10</p>

Published: Fri, 29 May 2015 22:21:50 GMT

Canadian diplomat convinces judge to release son in fatal Miami shooting

<p> The Canadian consul general took the stand Friday in a Miami courtroom, trying to convince the judge to let her teenage son be released on bond while he awaits trial in a deadly drug deal that killed his brother and another man.</p><p> If the hearing does not go in Marc Wabafiyebazu's favor he could spend a year or more in jail before he goes to trial, so it did not take long for his mother to get emotional and cry on the stand.</p><p> Despite her son facing a double murder charge in a drug deal gone wrong that ended with her oldest son and another man dead, Roxanne Dube told the court she loves her son and he is innocent.</p><p> "Marc is the son that every parent would want to have," Dube said. "He is a good boy. He never had any issues whatsoever with behavior in school."</p><p> Dube said despite having ADD and dyslexia, he is a smart boy who has overcome many challenges and she appeared to point the finger at her older son when it came to why Wabafiyebazu is behind bars.</p><p> "He loved his older brother and he just was highly influenced by his older brother," Dube said.</p><p> Police Officer Juan Velez testified that as he was transferring Wabafiyebazu in his patrol car, the teen told him he was in on the robbery.</p><p> "His brother went in with two guns," said Velez. "He tells me that they have done this on numerous occasions and that it wasn't supposed to go like that."</p><p> At the end the Canadian consul general told the court if her son gets bond she will serve as a trustworthy custodian.</p><p> "I don't have many things. I don't have many belongings, but my life is a life of integrity," Dube said. "Hard work, determination and obtaining whatever I did through that. So if I give you my word, I mean it."</p><p> The state has to show they have proof evident and there is a presumption great that Wabafiyebazu was in on the robbery and ultimately responsible for two murders. The judge said she will take it all under advisement and likely rule from the bench next Tuesday.</p><p> Follow Todd Tongen on Twitter @toddtongen</p><p> Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10</p>

Published: Fri, 29 May 2015 22:57:33 GMT

Army recruiter accused of having sex with high school girls

<p> A criminal complaint has been filed against a United States Army recruiter accused of having sex with at least two underage girls.</p><p> According to the complaint, the Plantation Police Department received information that Jose Nieves Jr., 30, was engaging in sex acts with several high school girls while working as a recruiter.</p><p> Nieves was arrested Friday by the U.S. Marshals Service on a charge of production of child pornography.</p><p> Police said a 17-year-old girl claimed she met Nieves in January and was taken to the recruiting office at 9793 W. Broward Blvd. in Plantation several times by Nieves.</p><p> She said Nieves claimed his government cellphone wasn't working, so he would call her from his personal line.</p><p> Police said the teen said she consented to kissing him and having oral sex. However, she claims Nieves tried to have intercourse with her in an apartment that he said he was setting up for them to live in. The teen claimed she said no when Nieves asked for sex, but he forced her legs apart. She said he stopped when her mother called.</p><p> According to the complaint, the teen went to police after Nieves sent her naked photos of another teenage girl with whom he was involved in a sexual relationship.</p><p> Police said the second teen told detectives that she believed that she was in a committed relationship with Nieves, and said they had consensual sex numerous times between March and April.</p><p> The Central Park Recruiting Center released a statement Friday stating in part, "Staff Sergeant Nieves has been suspended from all recruiting duties at the Central Park Recruiting Center as of 08 May 2015. He has been assigned to administrative duties at US Army Recruiting Battalion headquarters in Miami. Army Recruiting Command takes all allegations of recruiter misconduct seriously. This matter is being investigated by the command."</p><p> Nieves was enlisted in the army in 2007 and arrived to the Miami Recruiting Battalion in December 2013.</p><p> Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10</p>

Published: Fri, 29 May 2015 21:52:30 GMT

BSO K-9 deputy crashes SUV while trying to stop suspect

<p> A Broward Sheriff's Office K-9 deputy crashed his BSO-issued vehicle while attempting to stop a speeding SUV which ran a red light Friday afternoon, deputies say.</p><p> Authorities say the deputy lost control and crashed into a tree in the area of Northwest 14th Street and 32nd Avenue in Lauderhill.</p><p> Sky 10 was above the scene shortly before 4 p.m. as the area was roped off by authorities. An undercover BSO SUV was in front of a home and had damage to the front.</p><p> According to deputies, a man driving a Cadillac SRX fled from deputies, ran a stop sign and hit a trailer that was being towed on an SUV.</p><p> Deputies said the suspect bailed out of the vehicle, but was caught a short time later.</p><p> The suspect was taken into custody on existing felony warrants, as well as additional charges stemming from Friday's incident.</p><p> No injuries were reported.</p><p> Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10</p>

Published: Fri, 29 May 2015 21:12:35 GMT

2 arrested in armed robbery at Restaurant Depot in Pompano Beach

<p> Two men are facing charges after pistol-whipping a man at a Restaurant Depot in Pompano Beach Thursday and stealing his wallet, deputies said.</p><p> The robbery happened about 7:45 p.m. at 1470 W. Copans Road.</p><p> Deputies said the victim's motehr used her vehicle to stop the robbers and took pictures of their getaway car, a silver 2015 Ford Mustang.</p><p> Deputies said the men fired shots at the woman, who was not injured.</p><p> Deputies located the suspects about 8:15 p.m. near the 4500 block of West Hallandale Beach Boulevard. Deputies said a chase ensued and the suspects eventually crashed into another vehicle in the 3000 block of Hallandale Beach Boulevard and fled on foot.</p><p> Deavon Jenkins was arrested and was taken to BSO's Main Jail. Keondrae Neely, 21, who was apprehended by K9s, was admitted to a hospital to be treated for injuries.</p><p> The driver of the vehicle that was struck was taken to Memorial Regional Hospital as a precaution.</p><p> Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10</p>

Published: Fri, 29 May 2015 20:41:02 GMT

Homestead police search for teen who ran away from home

<p> Police are asking for the public's help in finding a 16-year-old girl who ran away from her home in the Waterstone community of Homestead.</p><p> The girl's mother told police her daughter, whose name was not given, left without consent after having an argument with her.</p><p> The teen has had two major concussions in the past, police said. As a result, she suffers from seizures, memory loss, bad balance and headaches. The teen has not attended school since last October because of these issues.</p><p> Homestead police said the teen's father is absent in her life. His whereabouts are unknown.</p><p> Anyone who has seen the teen is asked to call Homestead police.</p><p> Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10</p>

Published: Sat, 30 May 2015 01:37:21 GMT

Substitute teacher accused of having sex with student

<p> The Sunrise Police Department arrested a substitute teacher Thursday that they claim had sex with a student.</p><p> Carlos Rojas Paz, 25, was arrested after police were tipped off this week by the Broward County Public School Board.</p><p> Police said Rojas Paz confessed to having a sexual relationship with the girl and other minors.</p><p> "There were photos taken. Allegedly the photos were on the defendant's computer, and I believe his cellphone, which gives the court great concern," Broward County Judge John Hurley said in court Friday. "He also admitted that he's had sexual intercourse with other juvenile females as young as 14 years old."</p><p> According to the arrest report, the girl, who is now 17 years old, told police they had a sexual relationship since last February when she was 16 years old.</p><p> Police said the teen would meet Rojas Paz daily at Boyd Anderson High School during football practice, where she assisted him with injured players.</p><p> Police said the couple would go to Rojas Paz's apartment afterward to have sex.</p><p> According to the report, the girl's father said he questioned the teacher about why his daughter was spending so much time at the school, and Rojas Paz told him it was because the teen was working as a certified athletic assistant.</p><p> Police said the teen agreed to contact Rojas Paz via KIK messenger, where they exchanged flirtatious exchanges. Police said the suspect told the girl she was "the best at sex" and referenced a rendezvous in the shower.</p><p> Afterward, three detectives responded to Rojas Paz's apartment, where he was taken into custody.</p><p> Broward County Public Schools spokeswoman Tracy Clark released a statement Friday afternoon stating, "The individual was registered as a substitute teacher for the District and, through Broward Health, served as an athletic trainer.  Immediately upon notification from law enforcement regarding his arrest, the District barred him from working in our schools.  The District continues to work with law enforcement officials regarding their investigation."</p><p> Rojas Paz is facing seven counts of sexual battery on a minor over the age of 12 years old. He is being held in jail in lieu of a $700,000 bond.</p><p> Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10</p>

Published: Fri, 29 May 2015 22:21:30 GMT

Paralyzed Hialeah man flown to Emory University thanks to donations

<p> A Hialeah man who was paralyzed after what was supposed to be a day of fun at Dania Beach was flown to Emory University in Atlanta thanks to donations.</p>

Published: Fri, 29 May 2015 22:26:18 GMT

Trio found guilty on murder charges in Bilotti trial

<p> Three people were found guilty on murder charges Friday morning in the death of a 19-year-old man who was shot to death in 2005.</p><p> The jury deliberated for two days before reaching a decision within an hour Friday.</p><p> Mike Bilotti, 60, was found guilty of first-degree murder. His daughter, Christin, 27, was found guilty of a lesser charge of second-degree murder. John Pacchiana, 42, the hit-man in the murder scheme, was found guilty of first-degree murder.</p><p> Throughout the case, Pacchiana claimed he was provoked, and was guarding the Bilottis' Davie home that morning in July 2005. He said he believed Christin Bilotti's ex-boyfriend, Richard Rojas, would follow through with a threat to return to the house in the middle of the night.</p><p> The state maintained that Rojas was lured to the house when Bilotti's daughter, then 17, falsely told her father that Rojas had raped her.</p><p> Mike Bilotti's attorney said there was no setup, claiming Rojas came to the house looking for trouble and found it.</p><p> After the verdict was read, Rojas' father, Henry, told Local 10 News that he was satisfied by the verdict.</p><p> "We waited to death, and we knew with their lawyers they were going to appeal it, and this was just going to drag on for another five years to 10 years again," Henry Rojas said. "They have all the money in the world. Unfortunately, people who have money sometimes get away with murder – but these didn't."</p><p> The Rojas family said they were hoping for a first-degree murder conviction for Christin Bilotti, but are content with the second-degree conviction.</p><p> "As long as she's put away, and as long as she's robbed of everything we have been robbed of for the past 10 years, then we as a family are content with that," the victim's aunt, Martha, said.</p><p> Wayne Palazzola, 47, and Richard Corbin, 39, who worked with Pacchiana at a Miami strip club owned by Bilotti, each pleaded guilty to an accessory charge in connection with the murder. They face between 13 and 30 years in prison when sentenced.</p><p> The Bilottis and Pachiana face life in prison when they are sentenced July 8.</p><p> Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10</p>

Published: Fri, 29 May 2015 21:55:08 GMT

Rescued white lion cubs find home at Zoological Wildlife Foundation

<p> A pair of white lion cubs that were rescued in South Africa have found a home at the Zoological Wildlife Foundation in Miami.</p><p> From monkeys, to camels, and even ti-liger hybrids, The Zoological Wildlife Foundation is an intimate place for rescued wildlife, tucked away on five acres boarding homestead.</p><p> The owners’ newest additions are the not-so-little white lion cubs. Kunto and Kahina were rescued from an African breeding lodge where they would have eventually been sold to canned hunters.</p><p> But now, they will live in South Florida at the zoo along with other rare and endangered animals. They will be cared for by the staff who consider this a labor of love.</p><p> “This is what we love. This is our life," Zoological Wildlife Foundation co-owner Maria Tubraue said.</p><p> The Zoological Wildlife Foundation has been around for 16 years, but thanks to social media and notoriety from sights like trip advisor, it has become one of the most popular places to visit in the country.</p><p> "The vision was the passion and the love and dedication that we have - to share it with everyone, for everyone in the world to see," Maria Tubraue said.</p><p> Maria and Mario Tubraue both live and work at the Zoological Wildlife Foundation. Their goal is to expand the property to have a safari-style portion with even more rare species.</p><p> Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10</p>

Published: Fri, 29 May 2015 22:14:51 GMT

Cuba removed from state sponsors of terrorism list

<p> The U.S. has taken Cuba off its list of state sponsors of terrorism.</p><p> Secretary of State John Kerry has signed an order removing Cuba from the U.S. terrorism blacklist as part of the process of normalizing relations between the Cold War foes.</p><p> Kerry acted 45 days after President Barack Obama's administration informed Congress of its intent to do so. Lawmakers had that much time to weigh in and try to block the move, but did not do so.</p><p> The step comes as officials from the countries continue to hash out details of restoring full diplomatic relations, including opening embassies in Washington and Havana and returning ambassadors to the two countries.</p><p> Friday's removal of Cuba from the terrorism list had been a key Cuban demand.</p><p> Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10</p>

Published: Fri, 29 May 2015 22:19:33 GMT